LumberJocks

Trying new woodworking skills #10: Tenon trouble

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BJODay posted 290 days ago 523 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 9: Making tenons Part 10 of Trying new woodworking skills series Part 11: Tenon dry fit, oops »

The tenons went well on the smallest table. I had some trouble with the tenons on the mid-sized table. I was careful to cut them very close to the size of the mortises. Some were cut too tight. I had trouble on the dry fit. I had to squeeze the joints together with clamps. The table was tweaked slightly and was not square. I pulled it apart and hand sanded the tenons to loosen the fit a little bit. The second dry fit was much better.

(I posted this problem and received lots of good advice in the joinery forum, thanks guys).

Here was the procedure I used:
Cut a little off each tenon,
Check the fit of each tenon to its respective mortise,
Mark any that fit “OK”,
Cut a little off the rest of the tenons,
Check the fit of each tenon to its mortise,
etc.

Not very efficient or enjoyable. Lots of fumbling with the legs to find the correct mortise.

I started working on the tenons for the largest table. I changed my procedure. I worked on only one tenon at a time. This way I kept the mortise handy. When I finished one tenon, I reset the router table bit depth and started on the next tenon. It worked much better and was very enjoyable.

I’m about half done. I post some pictures when I do the dry fit.

BJ



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase