I began cleaning out the mortises. I followed BTimmons advice to start slow and sneak up on the line. I had to find my strongest “cheaters” and a work lamp. I don’t know what I ever did to ruin my eyesight. This worked well. I cleaned up all of the mortises for the smallest table. They do not look as clean as ones I’ve seen posted here and on Youtube but each one is smoother than the previous one.
I was a little nervous about finishing all of the mortises so I thought I’d make the tenons for the first table. This way I can evaluate my work as I’m doing it.
I’m making the tenons on a router table. It has a Jessum lift and is very repeatable. The first pair I made seemed a bit sloppy. I have to remember that if I take off 0.004” of an inch, it really doubles because I take it off both sides. So on the second pair I was working a little more cautiously.
This is how the tenons feed through the router bit when cutting the cheeks:
This worked fine. This is how it feeds through when cutting the shoulder:
Not so good! The bit pulled the piece into the gap of the fence very slightly:
I’m glad I was ruining small pieces. I closed the gap and started fresh:
I remade the sloppy piece and the new one turned out well. Then I made three more pieces that are the apron for the table. It’s a lot of minute cuts but they fit snugly. I realized I have to be very careful marking the pieces. It is easy to flip them or rotate them. So I marked “Top”, “Left” “Right”, “Front” and “Back”. Each tenon is individually fit. So when I finished a tenon I marked it “OK”. while I continued on the opposing tenon.