I’ve started on the end table project. It is a set of three nesting end tables. They are Mission style. The plans are from a Wood magazine book.
I have planed and cut the lumber. I glued up the pieces for the legs.
I laid out the mortises. That was a lot of work. I was setting up the drill press to dill out the mortises when I realized that not only are the top mortises the same, but the bottom mortises are all the same distance from the bottom of the legs. Even though they are farther apart from their respective top joints. This made it possible to have two set-ups. One for the top joints and a second for the bottom joints.
I used the fence stop to drill the first hole. By using a fence stop I realized how much my pencil lines varied.
I used the fence stop to drill the first hole. I used a 7/8” spacer to drill the second hole. 1.25” – 0.375” = 0.875”
I drilled all of the mortise end holes first.
Then I started drilling out the area in between.
Next I’ll start chiseling out the mortises. 48 joints. This will take some time. I’ve sharpened the chisels. My practice joints looked sloppy. I hope to improve on the actual joints.
I purchased the drill press last winter on CL. It needed a new spindle. I made a table and fence for it. This is the first project I’ve used it on. It has worked great. These are my first M&T joints. I hope they turn out well.
I’ll follow when I start on the tenons.