Before I move onto my next real project, I’ve decided to rearrange my workshop to be more efficient. For the last 8 years I’ve had my miter saw on a table in the middle of the shop. Every time I cut a board > 36” I am catching it before it falls off of the table. Just waiting for an accident to happen.
This is the old layout. There is a nice table under all that junk:
This is the new station:
I use bins to store seldom used tools. I have one for electrical stuff, one for plumbing, two for painting. These were stacked up in a corner and anytime I needed anything it was always in the bottom bin. Now I can pull out any bin without disturbing the others. I also added drawers. I love drawers.
The biggest advantage is I now have an open table. It was salvaged from my old job. It has a stainless steel top. I think it will be perfect for glue-ups.
This is how it looks now:
While building the miter station I ran into a few problems with the drawers. The miter station is 3 pieces. Left wing, center and right wing. They were assembled separately but are leveled and screwed together as a single piece. This way I can have a ruler on the fence that will stay calibrated to the blade. I must have tweaked the center cabinet slightly out of square. There is a nasty hump in the concrete floor along the wall and I shimmed to level it up.
Anyhow, when I mounted the drawer slides I had to mess around to make them “square to the front” not “square to the sides” of the cabinet. If I had kept the cabinet square while mounting, I could have squared to either side. This was a pain because as I get older it is getting more difficult to sit on the floor, reach into a cabinet and adjust drawer slides. (When I made my kitchen cabinets I worked from the top before the counter was installed.)
On the deep drawers of the center cabinet, I had a different problem. I made the drawers from 1/2” pine ply from Home Depot. I should have gone to a plywood distributor in town, but I was lazy. The ply had a slight bow. I didn’t think it would hurt. I made my drawer tolerances pretty tight. The two lower drawers were tight because they bowed out. Well I could leave it and hope it would wear into place but no. I need practice fixing mistakes, (I make a few). So I took off the slides, clamped a piece of MDF along the side. I used my block plane to shave off the bulge under the drawer slide. To my surprise it worked, Yay!. The ply planed very well.
Next entry should be the start of my real project, Nesting end tables.