This is why its been awhile since my last post.
One of the problems with shaping wood to this extent is any flaws show up.Figured Bigleaf Maple, aka Western Maple, Oregon Maple, Acer macrophyllum, can have pits, bark inclusions, etc… Well, I found a few during the final shaping.
I knew I was getting pretty close to maximum depth in one corner, but I couldnt leave that little black spot glaring at me.
Then I was all the way through and exposing the bloodwood below, nothing to do but add some putty. NOT!! I am joking. Putty was not an option, anything I did to hide this flaw would have been obvious.
So I set up a jig and milled out the medallion and made another.
THE SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN!!! Aarrghh. I didnt bother to take any pictures this time, I was so disappointed and under a time constraint that I just started fixing it it.
My customer was probably very frustrated too since he has been waiting for a long time to get this box. But he has been very patient with me. I told him that I cant in good conscience send him a box patched together just to get it off my back.
So I made another jig because each time I mill out the medallion I need to go a little wider to clean up the edges, and its about impossible to line it all up exactly anyway.
The problem I now had was that I no longer had a piece of that maple wide enough with any nice figure. So I decided to do a triptych inset panel like I did on this box named Storm.
I taped a mock-up of the panel and sent a picture for the customer to approve.( Another advantage of doing it this way was I wouldnt need to use any black epoxy as a border to fill out the gap. On the previous panels the medallion was to narrow, since its all I had. I had to mill the recess wider because it chipped out in a few spots. )
I split one piece and mirrored it on each side of a piece with more quilting than ripples. I edged it with wenge and bordered the center panel with bloodwood edged with wenge.
It is just setting over the recess, the corners are still square.
He liked the look, so I went ahead and fitted it in. This is slow and tedious. I fit the panel by hand using a sanding block, testing every few strokes. This went in nicely with no gaps.
Here it is glued in and before wiping away the squeeze out.
And here it is after carefully sanding it to blend with the previous shaping. This was a bit of a trial to not go too deep again in the thin areas and not mess up the waves too much either.
Next and last post will be the finished box.
Thanks for looking,
-- If I can do it, so can you. www.artboxesbyandy.com