When I started out to make the candy, I thought I would just simply cut up my scraps and sand them smooth.
This worked for some pieces, but I soon found that a more systematic approach was needed for consistancy.
I wasted half a day making pretty pieces, shaped all willy nilly that were impossible to fit into the tray without leaving gaps everywhere. I did think about bedding the pieces in a liquid resin, but figured it would either set up before all the pieces were in, or flow over the rim when full, so I passed on that idea.
So, I figured the best approach was to have a plan.I wanted a mix of colors, sizes and shapes, yet they all needed to fit in the tray pretty snuggly.
I decided it was best to make up “Bars” of candy and then cut them into bite sized pieces.
I would start with the largest and place them in the tray and work around them until I found a pattern I liked.
I also needed to safely work with smaller pieces, so much of the cutting was done on the bandsaw, or using double stick tape or super glue to hold them.
On with the show.
This first photo shows the cutoff mitered ends from making the sides of my boxes. I alternated colors and glued them together, then sanded them flat afterwards, then sliced off strips to make the pieces shown below. Flipping them onto the edge gives a new look to the same pieces.
Thats all for now, I need to get to the gym and then work. I was hoping to get all the photos on this page but Flickr no longer allows embeded frames, so using the mini browser is out. I found away around it, but its slower.
One more chapter should do it. Stay tuned.
Thanks for reading, hope this makes sense. Sorry about any typos, I am rushed this morning :-)
-- If I can do it, so can you. www.artboxesbyandy.com