Cant say the project is “gaining momentum”, but at least it is inching forward. I made a jig for getting a straight joint for the back legs, and used it to saw the leg where it joins the seat:
This was directly from Scott’s instructions, but it worked so well I think I will be making a similar jig for the part where the back legs meet the backrest. Just have to check I won’t cut off part of the legs in the process…
I also got around to making the Maloof joints. I first cut a dado to a scrap piece (using the self made jig in the picture) to figure out the correct depth for the round over bit when routing the seat
Once I had a practice dado, I used another scrap piece of same thickness with my seat boards; I experimented with the router bit height until I got a perfect fit. The first corner (in the picture) was too loose, and the 3rd corner was perfect.Then I moved on to the actual seat boards
Now I used YET ANOTHER scrap piece to rout the dado with the correct depth to correspond to joint in the seat boards. Once the right depth was established, I routed the front legs, including the round over.
There felt tip markings are to remind myself not to rout the wrong side:
I also glued the seats together.
You can also see that my boiler room/workshop has extended to cover our downstairs family room. My wife had a comment when se saw the glue oozing seats on the sofa… (oh come on, the sofa is at least 15 years old!)
The next step is either to figure out (required jigs for making) the maloof joints for the back legs, or to grind the seats. I think I will go with grinding as that sounds rewarding, at least now before doing it and possibly spoiling the whole project!