Headed down stairs after dinner this evening to start building my sawhorses.
I started by sorting out the lumber and selecting which faces I wanted on top of the I-beams. Oops the first – I need to finish the cuts on two of the legs – they should be 30” and they measure 36” – I forgot to cut trim the ends. Well, I need more practice handsawing anyways.
Next up, nailing on the legs. I propped them up on a plastic bin to help them stay seated in the beam while I nailed these. I then beat the hell out the 2×4 with my hammer, managing to drive the nails in in the process. I need more practice driving nails. Finally got all four legs on.
Oops the second. I decided to nail the stringers on the interior of the legs, since it would be easier to hammer them on with the sawhorse flat on the floor. I got the first stringer on, and when I tried to turn the sawhorse over, discovered I had nailed it to the basement floor. I was wondering why that last quarter inch seemed so hard to drive. So, unpry sawhorse from floor, flip over, nail second stringer more carefully. All’s well that ends well.
Nail on plywood. Saw off edges of plywood flush with legs of sawhorse. Well, as flush as I can manage, which is not very. Easy-peasy. But next time I’ll trace and pre-saw this.
Oops the third. Realize that I didn’t level legs on other side of sawhorse, making nailing plywood on second side not so possible.
Decide to call it done, and go celebrate with a tall glass of iced tea and an episode of The Woodwright’s Shop.
-- Work hard, play hard, drink good beer.