Well… today was pretty productive. I definitely prefer building and creating over demolition. But I like that I’m making room for what comes next.
So here is what I started with.
I wasn’t sure how hard taking this bad boy down would be. But I located my crow bar and my favorite hammer and got started. First off… those ridiculous tiles.
There was some leaking from above the window during the fall/winter. It’s all fixed now. But its obvious that it took its toll on the plywood under the tiles. And on the tiles themselves. They weren’t even attached anymore. All I had to do was pick them up and remove them.
Under those tiles and the plywood are these boards. Not too bad. But… they have to go too.
These boards were tongue and groove.
Removing the boards was easier than I thought… Till I got down to the last two. They didn’t seem to want to come off.
The lower shelf was easy. Those boards did not have the long twisty nails. Lots easier.
The last two boards didn’t want to come off. The 2×4 support is nailed into the wall. The problem… the plywood behind it was all rotted out and just crumbled. So I couldn’t get any leverage to pull it off. The last board to the top was nailed into it. I couldn’t get it pried up because of the electric outlet. But finally… I got it. And then behind it… nice… rotted plywood. So I pulled it off and now I need to replace that.
Weird thing… I worked hard on those last two boards… and I couldn’t get them off for anything. Then I went to pick kids up from school and when I came back my little guy James and I were in the shop when his dad (the ex) showed up. He came out and was nosing around. LOL. It came up that I couldn’t get the last two boards. So he asked why. I picked up my crow bar and showed him why it wouldn’t come off… and it came of like nothing. Oh well… Now I have one section down and two to go