I’ve been busy working in the shop today. Actually got a lot accomplished.
So… my last entry I showed you that I used my circular saw to cross cut my 8’ cherry boards to a rough length. I had actually completed this step earlier in the week. Over the last two days I kept right on moving. I had already planed those boards down somewhere between 7/8” and 3/4”. Yesterday I started planing them down to 3/4”. My planer is actually pretty cool and has 3 stops on it at 1/4’, 1/2” and 3/4”. So all I had to do was set my stop and little by little plane them down till it hit the stop.
Yeah… I was a bit clumsy with the circular saw. I wasn’t used to it yet. Got some burn marks from the blade.
So then I ripped the boards on my table saw and used my miter saw for the cross cuts to get them to the final dimensions.
If you remember the plans… it calls for through tenons. So the next step was to cut the notches (the mortises) for the ends to receive the tenons. I have a dado set. But I haven’t watched enough done enough with them or researched enough so I decided to use my table saw and just make multiple cuts. I tested this out on a sample board first and it worked great.
I laid out my boards and marked them (1a, 2a, 3a & 1, 2, 3) so that I wouldn’t get them mixed up and they’d go back in the order i had laid them out. I then used two sided tape and stuck the first two boards of each end together. This actually went by much quicker than I anticipated.
This actually worked out pretty great. I was pleased with the results. So far… they seem to line up with each other perfectly. (the one board may seem off… but that’s just because I bumped it)
Then it was time for the glue up. Why do I always dread this part? I did not have enough clamps to glue them both up at the same time. I think this ended up being a good thing. This is actually only my second attempt at gluing up boards to make a panel. My first attempt… not so good. I used quick release clamps and did not notice that the clamps were bringing the end boards up. So I ended up with a bowed panel. Live and learn :)
So this time… I used bar clamps on the bottom… and some quick release clamps on the top. No bowing.
So you’ll notice some wax paper under the boards. This is my second panel. On my first panel I glued up I found that there was a mark left where the glue and the bar clamp touched. It did not sand down very good. So I put some wax paper down. This did the trick. Not sure what else I really did differently on this panel… but the second one turned out much better.
Every other time I did glue ups I used a wet rag to wipe off any glue squeeze out. I think maybe a youtube video by The Apprentice and the Journeyman I saw where the guy let the glue dry and then scraped it off. That guy really loves him some glue. So I tried this method. I came no where near putting the amount of glue on that he does. But I laid it on thicker than I normally do. And I let the glue dry and then scraped it off. Seemed to work ok. We’ll see.
So after scraping off the glue I sanded the panels down. Not completely happy with them… but man…not too bad. I learned a lot and I’m still pleased with how they turned out.
I learned a lot from this portion of the project. Matching up the grains on boards that will make a panel is something I hadn’t really thought of till I was laying them out.
OH… and… I RE-learned something… I NEED MORE CLAMPS!!! LOL (I bet you’ve never heard a woodworker say that)
So… the next step is going to be tricky for me. Another technique that I’ve not done before. Time to cut out the layout. In case you’ve forgotten… here is the shape they will be.
This will be a challenge for me. And… it will test my little benchtop band saw. I’m hoping it will do the job nicely. We will see!
Until next time! Thanks for following this project. I think it builds the excitement for me that I have someone to share my progress with. Your comments and encouragement means so much to me. Thank you all for your kind words, the motivation… and the great tips that you provide. This is truly a great place to come and share. :)