Well, today was the day where I got it together. It still needs mattress support, but I can bang that out in an hour. I had my dad, the girls’ “Papa,” help me out. Over the course of about two two-hour sessions we did a lot.
We had to mark and drill for the dowel pins in the rail sections. I made a quick jig out of a piece of 1.5 inch x 3/4 inch maple scrap and two small pieces of scrap plywood. It matched the thickness of the rails sections and it had the plywood sections hanging down to position it and we secured it in place with a clamp. It worked better than I could have hoped for. I’m too cheap to buy a dowel jig. After all 16 holes were drilled. Two for upper and lower on each side. We laid-out the position of the end assemblies to the rails and used dowel-center-mark-finder-thingies to mark the holes for the end assemblies.
We then laid out the holes for the bolt-and-peg to hold the assemblies together. I again used a jig similar to the one above. We then laid out the holes for the peg that make a cross perpendicular to the bolt holes. I had one chance to get this right so I was worried, but it worked. We then used the pegs as guide to mark the though holes in the end assembly legs for the bolt, with one of those dowel-center-mark-finder-thingies. After a little adjustments on the peg holes (depth) and a little grinding of the pegs to shorten them. It went together without a hitch. I was really excited to get it together today, because I start a new job on Monday.
Thanks for looking.
-- The mistakes I make in woodworking are not mistakes they just give my projects character- Me