Well… Where to start? Well I haven’t posted at all about the crib, because this is the first time I could feel like I could. There was a lot of complications with the pregnancy. My wife had to have enutero surgery on her placenta before the girls were born. And they were born pretty early. The girls are still in the NICU, but doing great! The doctors could not be happier about their progress. Their names are Emma and Lily.
On my last blog, I finished the the tenons. Then I moved about two hours away and had to set up my shop. After that was done. I had fit the tenons into the channel mortise. That was a pain. But I got good at it. (I hope I did. There were 72 or more of them.) I then glued up the rails. Everything went very smooth. It didn’t hurt I had some newly acquired pipe clamps.
At this point, The girls are doing great and I feel like they’re going to make it. So I renewed my work on the crib.
On, 03/16/2012, I didn’t know what or how I was going to style the legs. So I enlisted my dad’s help. We decided to go with a simple craftsman style taper. We then used 3/8 dowels to secure the legs to the foot rails of the crib. It worked great. We drilled the legs with my drill press then, used a dowel center to mark the rails. We then hand routed the rails and filled the gaps between the channel mortise with solid Brazilian cherry.
Why Brazilian Cherry? Because I got a smoking deal on the Brazilian Cherry veneer plywood, I needed for the head board, and it looked good with the maple. I used a flush trim bit to trim the overlap on the on the solid Cherry. I then hand chiseled the corners. I then hand routed with a 1/8 inch round over bit to smooth the gaps between the vertical pieces. I still need to do some hand shaping in the corners.
Tonight, 03/18/2012, marked and drilled the dowel holes on the horizontal rails and on the legs for the head board. I didn’t know how I was going to fit the veneer ply into the leg, after much thought, I decided to 3/8 inch deep stop cut down the center of the leg. After measuring and re-measuring, and using a test piece. I got the gap right the first time on the test piece. (I was quite pleased with myself. That normally doesn’t happen to me.) I could use the table saw and not a router on this cut, because I am making a cap piece for the head board.
Glue up went well and it is drying as I type this.
Thanks for looking. My girls could still use your prayers, if that is your thing.
-- The mistakes I make in woodworking are not mistakes they just give my projects character- Me