LumberJocks

Distressed Pine Island/Table #2: Making progress . . . slowly

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by AmandasHusband posted 02-26-2012 02:30 AM 3637 reads 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: I seriously took a flying knot to the head Part 2 of Distressed Pine Island/Table series no next part

Last weekend I was a bachelor so I got a good 15 hours in the garage. Most of it went into this table. And boy is she taking a lot longer than I originally thought.

I still haven’t finished the top. I’m working on attaching the end pieces and well, it’s kicking my butt. Mainly because of the way I went about it I guess.

For starters, the top boards are/were 76” long. They needed to be about 73” with a 2” tongue on each end. Being so long, I couldn’t cut them on the tablesaw. That’s no big deal. I’ll just use the router.

Holy cow was this a chore! Extremely time consuming.

And to beat all, the table top is arching. It looks like a highway. The front and back are lower than the center by about an eighth of an inch. It’s not that big of a deal. Just made making the tongue a lot harder because it can’t be arched also.

Another little problem I had is my end pieces “closing up”. Last weekend, before I started on the tongue, I figured I’d go ahead and cut the dado. I mean, they always say to cut the mortise first and then the tenon. So I figured the smart thing to do was cut the 2” dado in the end pieces. Here is what it looked like today:

The good news is I was able to get one end glued on. Looks pretty good. It sounds stupid, but I actually like the arc of the table. Makes for everything not matching up as well. Looks more rustic and I think the mother-in-law will like that.

Tomorrow I hope to get the other end on (as the tongue is already cut) and then drill the holes and glue the dowels that go down through the tongue.

Here’s a few pics I took before I finished up the second end. One showing a little squeeze-out. The last one is of the “jig” I had to make so I wouldn’t make an arched tongue.

-- In this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.



3 comments so far

View camps764's profile

camps764

794 posts in 1017 days


#1 posted 02-26-2012 01:04 PM

Pine can be temperamental for sure. The table I built out of reclaimed pine fought me the whole way, and even after it was “perfect” seasonal changes fixed it so it wasn’t. Your breadboard ends look great!

a few tips I learned the hard way. Make sure you finish all sides of the top. The side that will be hidden underneath won’t need as thorough of a finish, but a couple of coats will help prevent more movement than necessary. Without the finish on both sides moisture will move in and out at different rates. This might be exacerbated by the extra moisture in a kitchen setting, boiling water, etc.

Looks like you did a full glue up on the breadboard end. I did the same thing on mine, and wish I would have just put a dab of glue in the middle to hold it. Mine has already separated itself a little because the wood broke the glue seal. From what I’ve read a dab of glue in the middle will hold it in place but still allow for movement.

-- Steve. Visit my website http://www.campbellwoodworking.com

View AmandasHusband's profile

AmandasHusband

58 posts in 1350 days


#2 posted 02-26-2012 01:43 PM

Thanks for the tips and comments camps.

My M-I-L wants to finish it herself. Which, I’m trying to talk her out of as I know she’ll just do the top and outside of the 3 sides.

Is that what you call it? A breadboard end? Well I used gorilla glue for that. But Iwet the tenon and only put a thin strip of glue on the bottom of the dado. Where you see the glue squeeze-out. It was such a tight fit on the tenon, I would have just scrapped it off as I was attaching it.

-- In this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

View HerbC's profile

HerbC

1167 posts in 1516 days


#3 posted 02-26-2012 11:36 PM

Yes, that’s a breadboard end and it is a design that is intended to help deal with wood movement. As camps764 said, a fully glued breadboard end will separate due to wood movement of the main panel. The normal design of the breadboard end is to use just a dab of glue in the middle of the panel and allow the outer ends float. You can also use either screws with slotted holes or dowels with slotted holes to alllow for movement.

No matter what type of glue you used, a breadboard end that has been glued on completely along the joint will almost always fail.

Good Luck!

Be Careful!

Herb

-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase