Two weeks sitting in the garage and I finally primed and painted the toddler bed. Valspar Foxtrot I believe is the color. It’s an off-white/cream color that my wife said was perfect as she didn’t want white.
I primed it white and when I was painting it I had to wear my sunglasses to even tell where I had and hadn’t painted. That’s how close to white it is.
But like I said in my other blog about this bed, I wanted something simple. I knew the hardest part was going to be the removable side rails. After sketching out a couple different ideas I showed them to my wife. She didn’t really like any of them and said she didn’t want rails. So I didn’t bother.
No side rails helped keep the cost down. I spent right at $115 for everything including the $30 gallon of paint. Which I used hardly any of. That’s including 2 spray cans of primer for $10 because I didn’t want a thick coat of it as I wanted it to dry fast. I bought everything at Lowes. So that’s not bad IMO considering the one we saw at Pottery Barn Kids was like $250 plus tax. And made of that . . . I don’t know what it is. Half wood half air stuff.
Looking back I may have done a few things different:
- Used 1×3’s instead of 1×2’s for the mattress supports. 1×2’s are plenty strong enough. It’s just, I only put one pocket hole screw in 1×2’s and they want to twist.
- Or I could have screwed a 1×2 down the inside of each rail for the supports to just sit on.
- Ran a shallow round nose bit an inch or two from the top or top and bottom of everything for decoration.
- Make the rails out of 1×4’s instead of 1×6’s. Even just ripped the 1×6’s to make them 4 or so inches wide.
- Maybe have the bottom of the rails four inches from the ground instead of six. My wife wanted six so we could put stuff under it, but that’ll probably never happen.
- Maybe put the rails on it. I may have to go ahead and make them. After two nights she has fallen out of the bed 3 times.
But in the end, it was something I put together fairly quickly and really enjoyed making. A very simple project that both my wife and daughter seem to love.
Yep. This is her pointing to the door for me to leave.
Sunday afternoon and she’s taking her first nap on it. 10 minutes after showing me the door.
-- In this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.