I took some time today to experiment with making some trim for the drawers. All in all I’d call it an unqualified success.
I started out with maple but the figured grain was not wanting to cooperate with my #45 at all (or the other way around.. not sure) so I decided to see how Sapele would look on them.
First task was to shape the trim. I went with a simple 3 bead design made by using a beading blade that was 1/3 the size of the trim. The first and second cuts were perched right on the edges which establishes the outer grooves for the middle bead keeping the 3 evenly spaced.
A word of warning.. when cutting the center bead you need to fully raise the blade and slowly lower it until it just barely cuts and slowly lower it 1/2 turn as you complete the bead. Since the grooves are already established if you don’t raise the blade you will be making a VERY deep initial cut that will likely lead to tearout. Ask me how I found this out lol..
Anyhoo.. Next step was to mark how tall I needed the trim to be and rip it from the rest of the board. I did this on my band saw and then planed it flat to the line.
Then I got to work cutting and fitting it. I ended up getting 2 drawers done today. I should have all 5 done this weekend.
I also need to decide on a pull style.. I think the Tape pulls are a bit “high brow” for a tool cabinet lol.
Thanks for reading and stay tuned!
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"