A lot has happened since the last update just nothing that looks like much of anything has been done lol. I hate that kind of progress but it must be made to move forward.
Yesterday I was able to finish up cutting and fitting the track for the doors to ride in. Something that should be done before one of the panels is immovable… yeah.. that got a bit tricky but with the help of some brass stock and some juice cans I got it all glued up successfully.
After that was done I needed to figure out how to mirror that onto the back of the cabinet. My sons sidewalk chalk and some paper to the rescue!
Now I just had to cut that out and install it to the back and whalla.. tambour that actually opens and closes!
Then today after the boy left to visit Grandma I started putting the finish onto the inside of the saw till and making the stop piece for the doors.
First I painted the inside fo the back with some rattle can flat black. Why? Because it’s cheap ply and paint seems to work best in that application. The till is dark inside so black seems to work. I just mainly wanted to get something on it to prevent any moisture issues. I then hit the entire inside of the case side of the till with dark walnut danish oil.
Then while that was drying I started on the pull stop for the doors. I searched through my tub ‘o’ cutoffs to find something interesting and I came across a piece of rosewood that Terry sent me a while back. Why not right? I think I’ll just throw all the woods at this while I am at it lol.
I measured and cut two pieces off of it and finish planed them to size..
Then I cut the rabbet in the back so it can fit flush into the last strip of tambour.
Finally I shaped it up with a rasp and sand paper..
Then I knocked around some door pull Ideas and landed on a dowel inserted into some maple then turned that on the drill press till it was knob like in appearance..
Got it all glued up and tested some finishes..
Top to bottom is 3-2-1, Cherry Danish Oil and Dark Walnut Danish Oil. I decided on the 3-2-1. It just seemed to give it the most depth.
Annnnnnd this is where we have it for today.. one door with 3 coats of finish applied waiting on it’s mate to get finished then we can FINALLY attach the back and call the saw till done.
And a closeup of the stop block and knob..
That’s all for now. I hope to get the other door done tomorrow and this all one piece by the end of the day.
Thanks for reading!
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"