I had to put on the breaks this morning just before I started working on the doors some more. I had the sudden and timely realization that in order to properly square up the doors with the case the case needs to be glued and stable. So in order to do that I needed to finish up the saw till which is attached to the back and middle dividing wall.
First though.. going back a couple days.. I had another epiphany. I want the drawer fronts to fit flush inside the case. I know from experience that no matter how much I try my work is not going to be and exact size from one drawer face to the next so I took a piece of dollar store foam board. Placed it ont he ground and laid the case on top of it then scribed the openings onto it.
Then once they were cut all the way out I have exact templates for the drawer openings to use to cut out the drawer faces with (all in theory of course.. )
So taking 2 steps back today I got started on the back and till. The back was cut from 5/8” construction grade ply.. aka the HD “Special Buy” stuff. Then after locating the center point for the till I drilled a 1/2” hole in it to run a 1/2” oak dowel through. You can kinda see the layout and peg in this pic… ignore the shop minion “watering” the case *sigh…
Then I needed to do some work on finishing up the tambour doors. I had been waiting to cut the rabbets along the outer edge of the doors for some reason and today was do or die day. It actually went fairly easily and quick.. Just measure and cut the inner wall then hit it with the ‘ol 78. Finish that up with a few passes with a block plane to bevel the edge and done..
After that a quick test fit was in order with my longest saw (still waiting on a restore it is)..
Now I just need to figure out the details for the saw holders and cut the inner wall and glue up the case. Stay tuned!
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"