I have taken some long over due time off of work this week and am taking advantage of it as much as I can. Today I got busy on the frog, receiving plate and lever cap. Last week I had already finished adding the knob/tote screw posts and cut out and drilled the tote for this guy.
Dug out a chunk of aluminum and started cutting… I REALLY need to consider a metal band saw lol…
And with that done I had the “machined” base for the frog. Next was to cut some 1/4” thick aluminum for the frog face and receiving plate.
Drilled and tapped the plate before permanently affixing it to the plane..
This time around I decided to use a strong 2 part epoxy to put these together with. The thickness of the aluminum would make brazing problematic with my little propane torch.
Then while those were curing I started cutting and shaping the lever cap out of a chunk of 1/2” aluminum and my belt sander. At the end of the day I had a respectable looking lever cap that just needs some finish sanding and a “Logo” of some sort.
Next to a #2 lever cap for size..
And this is how the plane sits now..
Tomorrow I hope to get the frog shaped up and a “blade” and chip breaker cut and possibly finish shaping the tote. I need to get paint on this by the end of the week if I hope to have any of this done for Christmas. Stay tuned!
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"