Well it took a week to get to it but I finally have everything clean and ready for masking and paint.
First up was the main base it’s self. This thing was too rusty for the Citristrip to even make a dent in but it did clean up with a steel wire wheel and my angle grinder well enough.
Any left over rust spots (mostly in those hard to get to crevasses) will get treated with some Rustoleum rust reformer before paint just to avoid any cancer from forming and spreading. The point here is to get another 100+ years out of this and leaving rust under paint is a recipe for disaster.
Then yesterday I started on all the other parts (what seemed like thousands lol). It all started out well enough until the motor mount on my drill press finally fully let go thus killing my preferred method of scrubbing parts clean.
I got about this far..
When this happened..
So after throwing a small fit and searching every store on the island that would sell a drill press i finally found the only one in stock on my small island (yes the only one as in singular) at my local tiny Sears.
It is a Crapsman but miles better than my HF was..
That burned up all my shop time for that day so I got back at it first thing this morning and was at it for nearly 8 hours! Keep in mind I am cleaning 2 and a half boxes worth of parts (I only need one but had these extras and figured I would clean everything all at once while I was at it).
At the end of it all I now have this..
I still need to buff the brass bits and properly clean the stock guide rods but holy hell that was a lot of parts.. Note to self.. one at a time from now on!
Next up is masking and painting then re-assembly which I plan to take LOTS of pics for as a referance on how to assemble one of these so stay tuned!
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"