I spent the day yesterday putting Humpty Dumpty back together again. I brought everything inside so I could referance my pics if needed and yes… it was very needed. Quite the jigsaw puzzle this thing is.
Then I remembered I had forgotten to shine the brass bits. I had to kinda hurry through this because.. again.. Game of Thrones was coming on in half an hour lol.
Left hasn’t been polished and the right is after a quick trip to the buffer..
I made sure to coat every inch of bare metal (including fasteners) with T-9 and then a coat of Renaissance Wax just for good measure. I want this thing to last another 80+ years if I can help it. I also made sure that any areas that moved got oiled before reassembly. I might still add some grease to some of the areas such as the arm swivel joint and the registration tab area. Otherwise it moves like new now.
Then on tap for this morning was to get a new wood deck made for this. I found a piece of 1/2” Red Oak that has some nice straight grain on it to use. Plopped the old deck on top and traced the template onto it. Then I started to use a 1 1/4” Forstner bit to cut the half rounds with but discovered that one of the motor mount welds has broken loose making my drill press useless so…. Galooting it up we went!
Then made the short cuts with my Dovetail Saw..
Ripped it roughly to width with my bandsaw (I really need to sharpen up a rip panel saw!) and brought it to the line with my No 4 then cleaned up the curves with a rasp then file.
Flipped it and planed a bevel on the back edge and checked the fit..
Next up was to chop out the hold back dados. I Married the two boards up and marked the line and chopped them out with a chisel followed by my routah plane.
Then I lined it up on the box, flipped it over and marked for the screws then pre drilled slightly with my GP eggbeater..
Gave the whole board a nice coat of Danish Oil and whallah! She’s brand new ready to go back to work!
I took it outside to take those pics because the sun was out and I thought I would get better lighting that way but… a cloud rolled in as soon as I was out the door so my “Glamour Pics” aren’t as nice as I had hoped lol. Oh well.
Now what is left is to fabricate all the missing parts such as.. The Hold Backs, The second rod and coupler and the stop rod tree.
Then the part I am actually dreading quite a bit.. the saw. I am extremely nervous about that part but I don’t drive a Prius (Tony) so no pussing out now lol.
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"