Late last night while waiting for Game of Thrones to come on (don’t judge me!) I spend a couple hours taking this apart and separating all the parts in labeled bags.
The 2 up rights were frozen in their bases and this is where everything went horribly wrong when I was taking apart my 358 so I wanted to be careful not to snap off the threaded end. Off to WallyWorld I went and returned with some Marvel Mystery Oil. Cut it 50/50 with some mineral spirits in a spray bottle, sprayed the part and waited about 5 mins.. that did the trick!
In the process I took pics of everything before/during and after it came off paying particular attention to orientation of the part on the box so when i go to put everything back together I have a reference if I get stuck. If any of you have ever replaced drum brakes before you know what I am talking about.
Then this morning I placed everything in their own tubs and soaked it all in Evaporust.
Everything fit except for the main base it’s self. I would need about 10 gallons of ER to completely submerge it so I am sticking to Citri Strip for that which it is currently covered in that orange goo as we speak. Any major rust pockets will get hit with navel jelly after the stripper bath is done.
Now it is just the waiting game for the parts I have… now it is time to start planning out the fabricated parts..
Supplies so far..
And I have a block of aluminum on it’s way to mill out the tree part as seen in this pic..
That will probably be a couple of blog entries just that part alone so stay tuned!
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"