This week I started restoring my what I thought was a Stanley #18 block plane that turned out to be a #19. That’s a good thing considering how hard to find they are and the fact I got this for under $20. Here is how it ended up..
The bad news is that while cleaning it up I needed to touch up the threads on the adjustable mouth. Luckily they are 1/4-20 so I got my tap out and started threading it in. I meat a bit of resistance and beyond my better judgement I decided to give it one more twist to see if it bottomed out or needed to cut new threads. Well it kept going right through the bottom of the plate!
So now I have an expensive plane with a hole in it.. piss.. what to do about this. I tried to find a replacement but this being a #19 the ones I found didn’t work. I pondered using JB Weld which would work fine but I have been warned that it can leave marks on your wood. That left clear epoxy. The only trouble with that is.. you could see the hole after the repair was finished.
So I continued scratching my brain for a solution when it hit me.. since it is 1/4-20 I could epoxy a 1/4-20 rod into the sole and after it all gets lapped flat should be just as strong and almost invisible to the surrounding area.
So here goes nothing..
I finished tapping the hole all the way through and inserted the filler screw and then assembled the plane to see how deep to thread it in.
Then I got out the epoxy
and marked a line on the screw.. added epoxy to it and re-threaded it back in. Again I re-assembled the plane to make sure it was where it should be then placed the plate in my “kiln” to cure overnight.
That is how it sits for now. Tomorrow I’ll cut it flush and start lapping the sole and fingers crossed this should work out.
Stay tuned for more!
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"