Had an unexpected early day at work today (which was nice after nearly 2 weeks of 15+ hour days) so I took advantage of it and started laying out the tool storage preliminary plan.
Here is the rough idea..
From the front minus doors..
Behind the plane till and tool storage will be a secondary wall that separates the planes and tools from a pair of saw tills hidden in the back wall.
And a quick mock-up to see it in scale.. the saws on the front will be in the back in their tills but this is roughly how those will be arranged..
Now as you can see I had a swing out door planned for that until someone pointed out that it might be troublesome as to where I can place the cabinet vs access.
Since my doors are box style doors I already need space on both sides wherever I put this so they can open but it got me thinking about the doors on the side and joked about building tambour doors instead. Well.. that got me thinking and now I really want tambour doors on both sides lol.
So after a quick search on the internet I found that they really aren’t as difficult (that I can see) to make as I had thought they were and got started building them.
First thing was to layout and cut the 2 doors on the sides…
Used my handy dandy marking gauge from the swap (Chuck.. this thing is oh so sweet!) to mark for the thickness of the top and bottom panels…
Those marks will also serve for the dovetails too.
Next I stacked 3 saws together, measured how thick the 3 handles were and added a bit to that measurement for the width of the doors. Then held my longest saw inside the mock-up at the angle it will sit in to measure how tall the till will be.
Then transferred those measurements to the 2 side panels, cut the line deep with my knife and drilled the corners with a bit and brace..
It was at this point my attempt to build this with 100% handtools failed me. After trying 3 different saws to cut the door out I finally caved and fired up the scroll saw. In no time I had 2 holes cut into my nice panels lol.
Another mock-up for reference..
Then my best helper stopped by to check on my progress.
He wasn’t sure about the plan but after some discussion we agreed to push forward with it :D
Then I started cutting the slats for the doors themselves. I figured since I had already killed some electrons tonight might as well kill a few more and ripped some sticks on my bandsaw.
At which point I felt bad about all the poor electrons and broke out the miter saw to cut all these to length.
And here is where I stopped for the night. 2 doors worth of slats cut ready to me cleaned up, cambered and glued up to some canvas.
Tomorrow should be a productive day so stay tuned for more :D
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"