Once the chop was shaped it was time to get started attaching the hardware to it and making some holes. I had hoped to have this completely finished by the end of last weekend but I missed that deadline by a day… close enough I think.
First up was the parallel guide.
I measured out the mortise and marked some holes to be drilled out. Then got my brace and bit out and hogged out the waste.
Getting better at drilling straight holes :D Nearly all of them landed right on the line on the backside!
Cleaned that up with a chisel and fit the guide to the chop.
Then clamped the chop to the leg and marked the mortise for the guide to go through the leg and repeated the process.
Then measured out the screw location.. drilled that and attached the flange.
The prepped the guide for installation. Taped up to keep squeeze out off the wood and pegged into place..
Once that was dry I peeled the tape and fit it to the leg and drilled the screw hole through it using the chop as a guide to align everything.
Then I needed to drill the mounting holes into my nut flange and thread it onto the leg to mark for mounting.
Then I made and installed a roller bracket.
From this point on I was very laxed in taking pictures. I found a rhythm and just went with it. I had really planned to get a bunch of pics of the chain installation but oh well. It’s on there and that’s what matters lol.
Before installation of the chain I needed to do some fitting to the lower roller bracket. This is not an issue with the kit it’s self but of my layout error in putting the side stretcher the same level as the guide. I will also need to fit the shoulder to the bracket once it comes to final assembly.
This is the point where the pictures stopped lol. But I just simply followed the instructions step by step for the Chain Vise installation and it all came together just as it should.
Nearly 9 1/2” capacity.. should be enough lol..
I didn’t have a can on hand to crush but it did flatten a plastic cup with no effort :D. Once the leg is attached to the bench I’ll get a video made of it moving.
Annnnnd that is one more thing off the “To Do” list. I do still need to do the final shaping/sanding of the chop and cut it flush with the top but I want to get the legs on before I do that just to make sure everything is measured correctly.
Final base assembly and the Deadman is next.. stay tuned. Almost done :D
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"