Today was almost a wash. Had errands to run this morning and the boy had a Dr appointment this afternoon ANNNND I have to work tonight so not much in the way of free time in the shop but was able to get some progress made on the leg vise. And I am happy to report that no electrons were killed during todays progress :D I have some Galoot points to recover lol..
First things first I had to flip then rotate my top so I could get some measurements made and have access to the wagon vise. Flipping is fun and rotating it is even more fun lol.
Then I got all my vise hardware together. It has been a few months since I last got everything together so I was relieved to find everything in one piece still lol.
Now, if you read the instructions for the BC glide vise which is more or less what this is designed after it says to measure for the parallel guide you install the nut at it’s farthest point. Hold that on one side of the leg and measure from the front of the leg to the flange. Ok that makes sense.. then it says subtract the chop thickness.. wait what? Doesn’t the PG go through the chop?.. moving on it then says to add the thickness of the leg.. now hold on a second.. why did I go through the song and dance of balancing this on the side of the leg if I am going to just add that back in? Then it says to add 2” for the upper guide wheel (which I won’t have but added it anyway because of the chain vise hardware) then add back in your chop mortise..
So basically they made a very simple measurement very complex. Basically… measure from the nut to the flange and add 2”.
So that is what I did lol..
It came out to just a hair short of 19 3/4” so I rounded up and added in my 2” which gets me 21 3/4” of parallel guide. Hopefully that turns out to be correct.
Got out my piece of maple and cut it to length.
Then my attention turned to the chop it’s self. I have had my last large piece of red oak sitting on hold for the leg vise since I started ripping them for the top. However now that I look at it again.. I might have held back a better looking piece lol.
I measured out for the screw hole and drew out the rough shape then ripped the side down with my increasingly dulling new Stanley disposable saw.
Then came the curved shoulders. I pondered this cut for a bit and decided to notch it out and then carve out the waste. Worked like a charm!
Broke out the #4 and the #130 to clean up the cuts and whala.. one half finished. I’ll smooth the curve out more when I do the final shaping/sanding.
Then simply repeat these steps on the other side..
Then into the wagon vise it went to get flattened and smoothed out. And here is the rough product so far. I plan to laminate a 1” thick piece of cherry onto the front to thicken up the chop a bit. Right now it is a little under 2” and I would like to get it closer to 3” if I can.
I also measured it out for clearance of the base joinery and it looks to be close but I think I can persuade it to squeeze in there somehow.
That’s all for now. I hope to get much more done tomorrow so stay tuned.
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"