Now that the wagon vise is sorted out and functioning quite well I might add (am having too much fun with it right now tbh).. Last night after work (1am.. pretty sure my neighbors hate me right now) I decided to go ahead and make the 1” dog for the vise.
Fairly straight forward. Sanded the 1” dowel slightly to give it a smooth fit (using the vise to do it no less :D )
Then cut to length, cut an angled notch at the top and then used my 1/4” chisel to cut a grove down the back. I then cut a scrap of pig skin and glued it into the groove fuzzy side up to give it some grip in the hole. I also added some to the face of the dog.
Turned out OK. I’ll probably re-do it soon because I’d like it to be a bit longer but it works pretty good for now.
This morning I turned my attention to the other endcap. Measured and laid out all my cuts.
Then hogged out the waste from the area just aft of the dovetail.
After that I cheated a bit and set my circular saw to the depth of the tenons shoulder and cut 2 lines. One is the length of the tenon and the other is the shoulder cut. I used the first cut as a saw guide to finish it off with the hand saw. If I had a stair saw I probably would have used it for the shoulder cut but alas I haven’t gotten around to that build yet.
Flush cut the bottom of the tenon on the back wall and then it was just a matter of chopping off the waste between the cuts. This is pretty fun if you haven’t ever done it.
(BTW I am really impressed with the NAREX chisels now that I have started using them. Good bang for the buck)
Then a test fit… That’ll do pig…
Next up are 3 more sets of dovetails and some channels around the bottom of the tool well and this can be assembled together finally.
It’s almost looking like a proper bench now… almost..
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"