Last night a fellow LJ asked a question that had me pondering all night at work. He asked why only one dog hole in such a big block. I really had not thought about that and it makes sense to have a shorter block with only one dog. You get a lot more travel and use out of the vise and what is the use of having a vise that is only partially mission capable?
So this morning I sat down and stared at the wagon block for a bit trying to work out what I was to do and that is when I noticed a few errors in construction besides the crooked dog hole in a large block.. the sides were sloped upwards and the top wasn’t flat. That is why my initial attempt at a straight dog hole using a jig resulted in a piss poor hole. Then I went to remove the sled and found one of the attaching fasteners had snapped in half during assembly (something I hadn’t noticed) it was forward of the dog hole so that kinda settled the short long block question. So now the entire block assembly was irritating me and I thought about what my Grandpa (who was a West Texas oil worker his entire life) told me once when I was 10 and trying to half ass my way through setting up a fishing pole… “No point in wasting the time if you aren’t willing to slow down and do the damn thing right”.. so I set up to do some over hauling of the block.
First thing first.. remove the laminate on top so I can add a new (square) one.
After that was off I glued up another rainbow. Planed the top of the block flat this time and plugged the dog hole.
While that was gluing I measured and cut down the sled assembly to it’s new length..
Drilled a new mounting hole and added a couple more rivets to the aft end just to strengthen it up a bit while I was at it. Then set up for a new dog hole. This time the hole came out MUCH straighter and it is something I can very much live with.
So now with all this stuff gluing up I figured I would go ahead and epoxy in the nut into the block so it can cure up overnight while I am at work.
So like I said in the title.. a few steps backwards but now I have the chance to get it right and have a finished product that doesn’t bug me everytime I look at it lol.
After the glue dries and the new laminate is added I can cut down the block and finally do some final assembly on this. I hope to have a moving wagon vise vid in the very near future. Stay Tuned…
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"