Well, I didn’t get as far as I had hoped yesterday but progress was made…
I finally got the shorter rivets and attached the runners to the base plate. If I had been able to find 3/16” thick plating large enough to make this all one piece that probably would have been better but this will work.
Then I drilled the dog hole, which was an experience in and of it’s self. My drill press doesn’t do straight holes so I was free handing this. I discovered that I don’t have a 3/4” auger bit for my brace so I had to kill some electrons to do this. After many failed attempts to put a straight hole in some scrap wood to use as a guide I finally got it “mostly vertical”. The hole leans a bit to one side but I think I can deal with that. I also used my dremel and cut an exit hole through the base plate for the dog.
Then I positioned the block onto the base and a couple wacks with a mallet marked where the rivets were. That allowed me to recess those spots so it would sit flush with the bottom.
Outlined the block, measured and drilled for the mounting screw holes..
Then a trip to the oil stone to flatten and polish up the runners a bit..
Attached the block and now it was time to sort out the shims and rails and get everything aligned.
Did a dry fit and marked the mounting holes for the flange bearing.. drilled, tapped and installed..
I had to attach a block at the end of the channel for the stop bearing. This bit was tricky. The OD for the bearing is 1 1/2” and my biggest bit is 1”. So I started with a 1 1/4” hole cutter and gut to the depth needed. That was followed by a 1” spade bit. That was then followed up by some free hand dremeling to get to the size needed.
Mixed some 5 min epoxy and with some shimming and creative clamping got the bearing seated in just the right spot to hold everything aligned straight..
Glued up some shims for the rails and now we wait on more shop time to get this finished up. Almost there I think..
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"