This has been a relatively slow week build wise. I had a series of 15 hour nights at work which kept me out of the shop for most of it.
I did, however, find a few minutes here and there to get some work done on the wagon vise for the bench. I need to knock this out so I can finish up the endcaps and get started on the leg vise and stretchers then finally assemble the darn thing.
I am fashioning this after the benchcrafted wagon vise which is a departure from my original plan of the Maguire vise but this one is simpler with fewer parts. Simpler means less chance of failure and that sits fine with me.
The first step was to determine where the threaded rod would go and then build everything around that. For this I simply printed out the build instructions for the BC vise and used their layout template to find the center of the rod. Then I drilled a 1” hole which I then used to mark the bench with.
Then I found a cherry cutoff and made a couple cuts on the MS to get it into shape as a push block..
Then I cut a notch in the wagon block to slip over the push block to get the center of gravity under the wagon block and not behind it.
I also cut a notch in the top of the push block which I forgot to take pics of but you will see in a minute anyway..
After that I drilled and carved out a nut sized hole for the 1” Acme nut to sit in… pretty proud of myself here.. this is as close to a perfect fit as I will ever see come out of this shop lol..
This is where it kinda slid downhill a bit. After a dry assembly I realized that I hadn’t taken the top thickness into account and my wagon block was WAY too short. So after what I thought were some careful measuring and number crunches I laminated a piece of cherry to the top so it will match the dog strip.. well Math makes me sad most the time and this was the case here.. I was still short so I decided (for Brandons sake ;) ) to make the wagon block a contrasting color from the dog strip. Thus explains the Padauk top layer on this. So here is my happy rainbow of a wagon block that now sits a bit proud of the top. That will allow me to plane it down perfectly flush once completely assembled.
Now that the block was done I can now use it to layout the mortise in the rod side of the vise.
Then out came the bit and brace to hog out as much material as possible since getting a chisel far enough in this will be difficult to say the least and my routah plane isn’t finished yet…
Then a dry assembly and this is where it sits now.
I still need to fit a block in the end of the mortise for the support bearing to fit into but first I need to fabricate the rails and base so I can get the alignment just right.
Turning this pile of steel into said rails and base is this weekends project :D
More to come. Thanks for reading!
-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"