LumberJocks

Workbench Build #29: Finishing one endcap and cutting my first dovetails..

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Airframer posted 276 days ago 977 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 28: End Caps and Tool Well Started.. Two Steps Forward and Whatnot.. Part 29 of Workbench Build series Part 30: Wagon Vise Build is a Go Finally.. »

Yesterday started with the bench side of the Toolwell. I glued up the back wall the night before and yesterday morning it was time to remove the clamps and rip that to the correct thickness. I decided to do it this way so I could clamp the other side to this one as a cutting guide. It worked pretty well.

A quick pass with the No 4 and it is done.

Then I trimmed up the leading edge where the dovetails will be and started on the mortise in the endcap. I used the same process as the deadman groove. The more I do this the better and faster I seem to get at it.

I was feeling good about everything until I went to fit it to the end of the bench…. I had measured the piece wrong and it turned out to be upside down! Measure twice cut once folks. This could have been a disaster but it looks like this endcap will work on the other end with some tweaking so that is ok I suppose.

So that meant starting a new endcap. Measured 3 times this time ‘round and chopped out another mortise. This resulted in a nice blister on my hammering hand and a nicely fit endcap on the correct end of the bench finally :D

At this point the transition from endcap to the bench bothered me. I decided to fix that with a gap filler between the endcap and the first leg.

I was going to stop here for the day but I got a bug up my arse and decided it was all or nothing and started on my first ever dovetail. I was pretty nervous about this but how hard could it be? It’s just cutting a few lines right? Well yes it is but different. One problem is that the bench top doesn’t fit into my Moxon vise so it had to stay horizontal throughout this process and also the tails are slightly larger than my DT saw. I had to cut holding the saw sideways on my knees and finish the cut with my flush cut saw which is the only other saw with the same kerf size. Made for an interesting couple hours (yes hours lol.)

The pins were a bit easier as they DID fit into my moxon vise unfortunately I have discovered that my fret saw is possibly the worst saw ever manufactured so removing the waste between was a lot of fun… I see a new fret saw in my near future.

Anyway.. I’ll finish this up with the usual series of pics taken during the process. The end result is a slightly loose and kinda ugly joint but I’m actually pretty proud of it considering. I just have 3 more of these joints to do before the bench is done :D The good news is.. now that this is fitted I can FINALLY start on the wagon vise. I am really wanting to get a vise on here of some sort soon to help build the rest of the bench with. Stay tuned and thanks for reading.

-- Eric - http://theidiotgaloot.com



5 comments so far

View theoldfart's profile

theoldfart

3247 posts in 950 days


#1 posted 276 days ago

Eric, gotta love that long horizontal rip. Well done. And those dividers still are impressive !!

-- "Aged flatus, I heard that some one has already blown out your mortise." THE Surgeon ……………………………………. Kevin

View Homebrew's profile

Homebrew

64 posts in 685 days


#2 posted 276 days ago

Nice build, I’ve checked out a couple of your other projects in the past and have liked what I’ve seen. Name catches on too ofcourse, but nevertheless good work. Check this out though – charles neil has a video on youtube somewhere, I think it’s part of his pie chest series. In the video he makes some dovetails that were pretty gappy, not saying yours are…but I’m trying to learn the techniques myself. In the video, he has a pretty clever way of hiding the gaps. Try looking for it, I’m sure you’ll be interested in giving it a shot.

-- Scott Rieman

View Airframer's profile

Airframer

1966 posts in 452 days


#3 posted 276 days ago

Kevin – this was the first time I had used them.. was happy to see they actually work as intended lol.

Scott – thanks for the heads up on that. I’ll do some searching for those videos. I am pretty sure a few shims cleverly placed will do the trick though.

-- Eric - http://theidiotgaloot.com

View Mauricio's profile

Mauricio

6691 posts in 1650 days


#4 posted 275 days ago

Those DT’s will clean up fine! Great progress man!

-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch

View Don W's profile

Don W

13923 posts in 1067 days


#5 posted 275 days ago

glue ‘em, stuff ‘em and call it a day. Great progress. This bench came together pretty quick.

-- There is nothing like the sound of a well tuned hand plane. - http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com (timetestedtools at hotmail dot c0m)

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase