Drill Press Hold Downs #1: The beginning..aka Adventures with glue..

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Airframer posted 01-22-2013 05:28 AM 2053 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Drill Press Hold Downs series Part 2: Forstner Firsts.. »

This is kinda a funny story. I had finished up my simple little drill press table and needed a set of hold downs for it. The unfortunate part is that all I had as far as wood cutting tools were my Dremel, a cheap hand scroll saw and a hack saw with a metal blade on it. So basically doing anything other than rough wood cuts that were destined to not be straight was out of the question.

In comes Harbor Freight with a 20% off coupon and me having a gift card left over from Christmas. I packed the (pregnant) wife up in the car and made the hour drive north to the closest store and picked up a 16” bench scroll say for a little over $32 after the coupon and gift card!

NOW I can start making my clamps.. but wait, I need a spot to put the scroll saw… So then I set about building a second work bench to hold the saw on (project post is here ). After I finished that up I decided to build a small top to bridge the gap between my old bench and the new one to just continue it around the corner thus making it essentially one long bench. Once that was done I couldn’t just stop there I needed MORE pegboard and a place to put my drill press accessories.. thus the drill press accessories cabinet ( build followed by copious amounts of pegboard going up on the wall.

So a week and a half after heading to HF to get a saw to cut out my clamps I just realized.. I STILL NEED CLAMPS! DOH! I got so wrapped up in my other prep projects that I had forgotten the whole reason this started in the first place.

So yesterday afternoon I finally got started.

I decided to build a version of these and figured I might be able to pull them off.

I grabbed some hardwood scraps I had left over from the other projects I had done and a small oak cutting board I had knocking around for the last 2 years (it came from one of those holiday sausage and cheese sampler pack things) that I used to solder on when I was working atop a plastic card table but no longer used.

I got them all cut to the same width and roughly the same length and glued them together to create a block almost 1 1/2” x 1 1/2” (actually just a spot bigger) and long enough to cut 2 clamps out of.

So this is where we left off last night. I got more done this morning before work but that will be the topic for the next installment. Here are some pics from last night.

Materials gathered up..

All glued up.. plenty of squeeze out so it should be a good solid chunk of wood..

Got the templates glued to some carboard and cut out.

And they both juuuuuuuuuust fit on the same block…. close enough for government work.

-- Eric - "I'm getting proficient with these hand jobbers. - BigRedKnothead"

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics