LumberJocks

A Bench for My Uncle #5: The Seat Back

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Aaron McCain posted 591 days ago 2924 reads 2 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Making the Cross Beams Part 5 of A Bench for My Uncle series Part 6: Finished and Finished »

Once the rails were done, it was time to move onto building the back of the seat so that all of the components could be glued together. The design calls for tenons to be cut on each end of the back slats to fit into a groove cut into the top of the back bottom rail and the bottom of the back top rail. I didn’t get any pictures of that process. I used a table saw and it was more difficult that I expected. In the end I decided that I should have cut the groove before I shaped the top rail just so I had more material to work with and hold onto.

After the grooves were cut, I cut the back slat to the correct size and laid them out to try and keep the colors and grain patterns symmetrical. Here is a shot before I got to work on the tenons.

And here is a close up of the tenons (before I sanded them and cleaned them up a bit) and the bottom groove.

And a picture of the dry run after the bottom tenons were cut to see how everything looked.

My wife and I decided not to glue the slats in place (the instructions in the magazine were a little vague) in order to allow for some seasonal movement. We also decided to prefinish the slats to save the hassle of try to finish a vertical surface. So here is a shot of them in the drying process.

The plan calls for little rounded over spacers to trap the back slats within the grooves. Off course I didn’t get any pictures of that process, but here is a close up of the finished back. You will notice the finished slats and the unfinished spacers located in the gap between slats. These were a little challenging to get a thin rabbit on the spacers and I needed to shorten them after the initial cut to make sure that they didn’t sit on the bottom of the groove. In the end they look pretty good and we did glue the spacers in place.

So with the back slats finished it was time to glue everything together. My wife came out and helped with the glue up and I was so excited to see it sitting there put together and looking good. Now onto the seat and seat support.



4 comments so far

View jap's profile (online now)

jap

1224 posts in 649 days


#1 posted 591 days ago

very nice

-- Joel

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

13337 posts in 2268 days


#2 posted 588 days ago

Nice bench!

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View DrSawdust's profile

DrSawdust

307 posts in 2693 days


#3 posted 568 days ago

Wow, I just discovered your blog. I am very impressed with what you have done. Could you please tell me what issue of Wood you found the plans in? I would like to make one.

-- Making sawdust is what I do best

View Aaron McCain's profile

Aaron McCain

115 posts in 1434 days


#4 posted 381 days ago

@ DrSawdust -sorry for the delay. The bench is in Jun/Jul 2006. It is called the “Comfy Classic Garden Bench.” Here is a link to the plans: http://www.woodstore.net/coclgabe.html

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase