LumberJocks

A Bench for My Uncle #3: Completing the Sides

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Aaron McCain posted 08-26-2012 06:32 AM 3411 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: The Back Legs Part 3 of A Bench for My Uncle series Part 4: Making the Cross Beams »

Now that the legs are done, it is time to connect the front legs to the back legs. The first piece will support the seat and fits into the mortises that I previously cut into the legs. The tenons were a lot easier than the mortises and I just snuck up on them with a dado stack and then touched things up with a file until the fit was not too tight, but not too loose. I was happy when everything slid in nice and neat.

Here is the first look of the two legs connected with the cross brace!

Once all the tenons were cut and fitting nicely then it was time cut the curve in the top to make the seat a bit more comfortable. The plans that I am following from Wood Magazine provide templates to glue right onto the wood to help get everything cut just right.

One the lower cross braces were complete, it was time to move to the arms. These were a similar process: cut with a bandsaw, and sand to final shape. Unfortunately my sanding drum is only two inches tall and the arms are 3 1/8 inches tall. So I had to sand down to the final shape in two passes. It was a lot easier than I thought.

The arm requires a notch in the back to fit into a notch cut into the back leg. This was done on the bandsaw and refined with a file. This took a lot longer than I thought and a shoulder plane probably would have come in handy for this application.

Here is the side with the completed arm!

The last part of the side is two decorative corner bracket that fit under the cross brace. I cut out and shaped four of these today by completing one with the bandsaw and drum sander and then used a flush trim router bit in my router using the first bracket as a template. It went slick, but later realized that I need 6 brackets, not 4, so I will be repeating this process again in the future.

The plans suggest that you connect the corner brackets to the brace and legs using biscuits, however I don’t have a biscuit cutter, so I had to modify things just a bit to use a dowel jig. A little tricky on the sequence also, but I got it done.

So below is a picture of where I left things today. One side is almost ready to be glued up. All I need to do is to finish sand some of the parts and then glue and clamp. I am happy with how things turned out. The next few evenings will be spent making the arm for the other side. I am happy with the progress.



1 comment so far

View eddie's profile (online now)

eddie

7326 posts in 1272 days


#1 posted 07-07-2013 06:45 PM

i like your bench

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase