My goal today was to get the arms glued to the ends. One of my concerns is that this sofa is heavy and people will lift it by the arms whenever they want to move it. Poalini simply glued the arms to the top end rails for his chair but I felt that more was needed for this sofa. Therefore, I took a tip from pintodeluxe in his Morris chair blog (thanks, Willie!) but with a bit of a twist. I cut a 1/4” groove in the tops of the rails and made a curved spline to fit and match the curve of the arms. With the spline in the groove, I set the arm in place and marked its location with a pencil line on both sides. Then I routed a corresponding groove in the under side of the arms. I tested the fit for both arms and everything worked, so I glued the splines into the rails and then the arms to the splines. Unfortunately, my photog was out to lunch and didn’t get any pix, but there is a pic in Willie’s blog.
Here is one of the ends in the clamps.
Notice that I saved the rail cut off to give the clamps a square surface to grab onto. Since I still didn’t think this was over-engineered yet, I decided to drill a hole through the arms into the legs and glue a dowel in place. I only have a 1/4” dowel making plate so that is what I used.
Tomorrow will see the start of the finish, at long last. :)))