I am finally getting back at this project and hope to finish it before I die. haha
I needed to round off the sharp edges on the fronts of the back rest supports so I did that with the oscillating sander. I found that it collects dust much better when the shop vac is on. :/
After that, I started gluing the back rest together. Even though it isn’t necessary, I put a dab of glue into the mortises for the slats.
Pretty standard glue up process, but I did need a diagonal clamp to square the back up about 1/8”.
While the glue was curing, I started working on the arms. When Greg was here, they decided how much they wanted the back rest to lean back and I marked the front and back of the support on the edges of both arms. My pins are 5/8” diameter, so I marked the center 5/16” back from where the back rest needs to be.
I drilled the holes for the pins with the drill press after ensuring that the arms were level and plumb.
The back corners are clipped off, so I marked them,
and cut them off with the BS,
and, finally, cleaned them on on the planer.
That concluded my shop time today. It was good to be back. :)