First of all, my photographer apologizes for the lack of pix today. His excuse is that he was so enthralled by the work that he forgot to take pix of the various steps.
You may recall that yesterday, I got the square mortises cut in the arms so the first agenda item today was to fit the tenons to the mortises. I used a spoke shave, a chisel (sharpened again) and a block plane to shave the tenons down to size and to enlarge the mortises as needed. As Willie pointed out yesterday, this is a fairly time consuming part of the project. I am not happy with my results, but I will not make another set of arms so all the world can see another of my opportunities for improvement. There is about 1/32” gap on the tenon sides. I think this was caused by removing the waste with a 1.375” Forstner bit in a hand held drill. It worked for Paolini, but I will try something different in the future. :(
Here is the spoke shave in action:
And here are the arms in position.
Once the sofa ends were under control, it was time to make the mortises for the front and back rails. Due to the size of the legs (2¼” and the mortises being 1½”) there was interference. There are various options to address this issue and I chose to put the side tenon in place when cutting the mortises for the front and back rails. I clamped the leg with the side tenon in place to cut the front and back mortises. Hopefully, that will be visible here.
A down side of using the MortisePal (or any plunge router jig) on long pieces is that you end up cutting those mortises while holding the router at an angle. However, the MortisePal was up to the task and I didn’t feel any safety concerns and the mortises were good.
I had to make some more floating tenons, but I have already shown the process I use. After completing that, it was time for a dry fit.
Overall, I am satisfied with the project, excepting the arm mortises, but I am thinking about possible tactics to minimize their visual impact.
Thanks for reading.