Today I began the most difficult stage to date. In order to make the leg tenons it was necessary to cut the upper side rails to match the shape of the arms. Paolini demonstrated a method that used a template, but I am getting ahead of myself.
I started today by cutting the arms to length. Paolini showed how he determined the proper angle for cutting the through mortises using the level in a combination square and I used that method to determine that the front end of my arms needed to be elevated 4”. Here you can see my support method.
I clamped the back end down and supported it when cutting the opposite end.
The Paolini template requires that you measure up from the bottoms of the feet to the appropriate location on the legs and mark them to be at the proper height for the top of the upper rail.
Then mark those locations on the template blank.
After that you need to draw the curve of your arms onto the blank and band saw it and fair the curve with a sander.
Then you use the template to draw the curves onto the upper rails, band saw them and fair them. That all worked fine.
Here is one arm being held against its rail.
The next step is to use the template to mark the curves on both sides of the legs. For some reason that didn’t work well for me, so I just laid the arms on edge and used them as the template. That worked for me.
After marking the curve on both sides of the legs, you square a line across the fronts and backs of the legs. Here is the two corners of one of mine.
Once that is complete you cut the shoulders of the tenons on the table saw. Note that you only actually cut one shoulder to the line and that is the one facing the front chair. The remaining shoulders are cut with a chisel.
Then use a dado to remove most of the waste.
I got all the legs to this stage.
I will be in a much better position to gauge my success after cutting the arm through mortises, hopefully tomorrow.
Thanks for reading.
P.S. I was asked how I treat the edges of the floating tenons. I round them with a round over bit on the router table and fine tune them with a disk sander. Here are the ones I cut today when cutting the curves on the top rails.