I removed the second arm from the bending form, cleaned up one edge and cut it to width and jointed the sawn edge. I am ecstatic to report that the arms match! Admittedly, there is a 1/16” variance, but since they will be at opposite ends of the sofa (about 80” apart), I am not concerned. :)
Today was all about mortises and tenons. Since I use a Mortise-Pal, I set it to width and then mark the center lines of the mortises I need to cut. Here are the side rails:
And, here are the side slats:
Below are the results on the rails.
I sand the edges that will receive the slat tenons before cutting the slats to final length because sanding can change the dimensions causing unsightly gaps. DAMHIKT
Once that is out of the way, I assemble the framework and hold one end of the slat against the rail.
Then mark the opposite end. Sorry, my photog wasn’t willing to lend a hand. Hopefully, this is understandable as is.
Once the tenons were prepared (same process as yesterday), I got to dry fit everything.
You might be able to see a 1/64” gap, but I think (hope), the clamps will eliminate it during the gluing phase. Finally, for today, here are the two ends.
Please be patient, the paint is almost dry. haha