Yesterday I attempted my first bent lamination and the results (at least for the first arm) were more than satisfactory for me. I took off all the clamps after waiting a full 24 hours, and pried the arm off the bending form. It seemed to retain the desired shape without any noticeable spring back. I scraped the glue off one edge and ran that through jointer. After that I ripped it to just over finished width on the TS then cleaned that edge on the jointer.
I needed to get the legs to their final dimensions, so I planed the thick veneers down to 1/8” giving a finished size of 2.25” x 2.25” and cut the legs to their appropriate lengths. The back legs are 2” shorter than the front legs.
On to final dimensions for the side rails. They also needed to be jointed, planed and sawed.
Finally, it was time to begin cutting the mortises. :) I use a Mortise-Pal because it is quick and accurate. Sadly, the Mortise-Pal is no longer manufactured, but a Domino would be an excellent substitute. ;)
I didn’t have any tenons ready to go, so I made them. I plane the stock to just over the desired size, 1/2” for these, then run them through the drum sander until the corners just slip into the mortises. After that, I cut them to the proper width (5” here) and round the edges with a round over bit (duh) on the router table.
Here is a test fit:
Sometimes, in spite of my best efforts, the tenons need a further bit of adjustment which I do with a combo sander.
This is the first completed joint.
And this is the first end.
This was a great day. The arm looks as good as I hoped it would and I think I made a lot of progress with no major challenges. Life is good!