Today was to be a big day, I planned to do my first bent lamination. The form was ready to go as were the lams and I even had auxiliary help (aka LOML) lined up if needed. Paolini recommends using plastic resin glue, but I checked with a buddy that does a lot of bending and he indicated that TiteBond III would be fine. So that is what I used and tomorrow morning I will find out for myself.
Actually, this first stage went easier than I had antictpated and no auxiliary help was required. :) If there are any OCD readers here, I used 32 clamps. Tomorrow morning will either be agony or ecstasy. haha
Then I started work on the legs. I needed to laminate two pieces together to get started and because I was short on clamps, I choose to glue all 4 legs together at one time and used cauls to maximize the pressure.
Then I waited about 30-45 minutes for the glue to cure. After the legs were out of the clamps, I needed to square up the edges a bit.
If you look closely, you might be able to see that the two edges aren’t perfectly aligned. A couple passes over the jointer fixed that. My next step was to glue the veneer to the edge grain so as to have ray flecks on all 4 sides. Again, more gluing with only 2 clamps.
I leave the veneers wide to ensure complete coverage and clean up the edges with a flush trimming bit on the router table.
Then cut them to the required length.
My main learning here is that all these glue ups kinda got me stuck today. I should have started the arms asap while I still had other things I could do. I really need to get the legs done before I can do much more and the arm glue up limited my leg processing ability.
I have the second arm to glue tomorrow, but the legs will be readied for mortising permitting me to make some progress, I hope!
Til then and thanks for reading and any comments/questions.