Dresser #4: Mission Complete

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by AFChip posted 07-10-2010 03:29 PM 1006 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Getting There Part 4 of Dresser series no next part

So I finally got to the staining process. It’s a first for me staining something of this size and it most certainly did NOT go off without a hitch. I applied 2 coats of Dark Walnut to all the visible wood pieces. The first coat went on perfect. The second coat, I didn’t remove as much stain as I should have before it dried, and I wound up with that nice tacky over-stained surface. Took me a whole day and a bottle of mineral spirits, but I was able to clean it up without having to sand everything down and starting back at square 1. The sides still have some noticeable splotches (to me) from the mineral spirits, but everyone else who has seen the thing doesn’t notice them. . .

On the top piece of the dresser, I applied 1 coat of polyurethane. Still debating whether to apply a second coat or not. All in all, I think it turned out relatively well. Now the Mrs has 3 months before the kiddo shows up to change her mind 100 times on how she’s going to organize the little one’s clothes/expendables in this thing. Should be fun!

Dresser Front
Drawers Open
Front Right
Dresser Top

1 comment so far

View Kindlingmaker's profile


2656 posts in 2944 days

#1 posted 07-11-2010 06:43 AM

Looks great and you even inset the drawers! Nice job!

-- Never board, always knotty, lots of growth rings

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics