So, no pictures this time because someone forgot to bring a camera to the wood shop. . .
Anyway. Had to take a couple steps backwards today before we could continue forward. While the drawers are all the same depth, the 3 top drawers are not as wide nor as tall as the bottom 6. . . at least that was the plan.
When building the drawers we may have forgotten to trim down their height. The top drawers were supposed to be 5” tall so they’d have some clearance in the 6” gap . . . They were 5 3/4”. Oops. We noticed this immediately when we went to do a dry fit.
Additionally the top 3 drawers were a tad too wide. The faces of the top 3 drawers are 15”, with drawers themselves being 14”, allowing 1/2” on each side for rails. Well. . . in the flurry of cutting and gluing from earlier, we made all the drawers 15” with no clearance on either side for rails. . . Brilliant!!!
Fortunately it was an easy fix since removing material is always easier than adding it.
For the height problem, we just ran all 4 sides of the drawer through a table saw and trimmed off the 3/4” we needed. The width problem wound up pretty easy to solve too.
Taking a look at this drawing, we basically cut out all the red areas, and just reattached the side, good as new. Tools of choice were the handy table saw for cutting the drawer along it’s length, and then a radial arm saw for getting rid of the excess at the ends.
At the end of the day, the dresser has all of the drawers installed. Next on the to-do list is faces for each drawer, the face frame for the dresser itself, and a base. . . .