LumberJocks

Bandsaw Base + Mods on Saw Itself

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by 69BBNova posted 11-21-2012 11:06 PM 3690 reads 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Not being able to sleep last night (happens often), I finalized the way I wanted to build two bases.

I’m going to mount the saw and motor on top of the base.
The bottom will serve for storing whatever.

Its made with 3/4” plywood…

Top and Bottom
2 pieces 16” x 24”

Horizental banding
4 pieces 3” x 24”
4 pieces 3” x 14 1/2”

Corner columns
8 pieces 4” x 14 1/2”
8 pieces 3 1/2” x 14 1/2”
8 pieces 4” x 5”

I havent finished screwing and glueing (no glue at all yet) until it is all set to mount bandsaw…

Overall it will be 21” high x 24” long x 16” wide after I get casters which will put table height at 40”...

I think I overbuilt it as usual (happens all the time)



7 comments so far

View 69BBNova's profile

69BBNova

338 posts in 934 days


#1 posted 11-22-2012 01:47 AM

I have the holes drilled and slotted (motor) and their mounted and line up with good adjustment for belt…

I just have to dig up some longer capscrews for the saw itself, the ones in their are the correct dia. but just not quite long enough…

It seems I may not have to use glue at all, just havent decided yet.

View 69BBNova's profile

69BBNova

338 posts in 934 days


#2 posted 11-22-2012 07:54 PM

Its a lot closer to being done…

The motor and saw is mounted, and I mounter the switch box higher because I didnt like it low…

I’m going to make a new switch plate and buy a new switch (maybe)...

I havent had this saw long at all but it was apparent the base contributed to most of the vibrations…

I may steal the casters off the dolley it was on.

View 69BBNova's profile

69BBNova

338 posts in 934 days


#3 posted 11-22-2012 09:28 PM

I did after all steal the casters…

If I can dig up some scrap plywood I intend to make outriggers on the short side extending out 2-2 1/2”...

I have never trusted casters.

View 69BBNova's profile

69BBNova

338 posts in 934 days


#4 posted 11-23-2012 08:57 PM

I figured I show some of the other mods I’m doing…

Most are directed at controlling air flow throughout the case…

I’ve had this saw the day after Sandy passed throught New England, only paid $125 for it its actually in great shape…

2-3 hrs after I had it it was completely torn down (I have lost count how many times)...

Because the original base was useless it donated its steel to continue on…

The trunion (I think thats what its called),I found a 3/8”id 1/2”od bronze bushing drilled the hole for the tensioner and locktited it in, after its fully cured I cut it down to 1/8” above the top, it also turn out that the square bronze nut is no way near the correct size. I’ll probable braze some materal then file fit it correctly.

Last night I started making a new blade guard because I noticed a lot of dust gets topside and the fact it isnt plastic will give it more area to pull dust down from up top when I get a proper collector…

The under table collector has been tested and with the case selective sealed (duct tap in selected areas) I was able to see how I wanted the air to flow…

Its actually big enough that when I make it from steel I can use a 4” port. It comes to within 1/4” to the base of the table to create a flow path that pulls the air past the blade, and does capture most of it.

I’m also going to seal the bottom cover, I wonder what they were thinking.

If I dont get a large DC the Rigid shopvac did a great job during testing.

View 69BBNova's profile

69BBNova

338 posts in 934 days


#5 posted 11-23-2012 10:53 PM

The blade guard is just about done, just needs some minor tweaking…

Tommorow I’ll probably fabricate a shroud for the lower cover and test it before I go any further…

We all know dust free is impossiable, I just want it better, and I really dont have space for a full size DC.

View 69BBNova's profile

69BBNova

338 posts in 934 days


#6 posted 12-02-2012 01:20 AM

Figured I’d upload a few more pics…

Still have to do a bit of grinding on the tack welds, and tuneup the fit of the covers, and add a bit here and there…

Tomorrow I may work on the lower opening on the bottom cover (not sure though)...

My friend did the tacks its a bit lumpy but he dosent weld often, but he knows how much its appreciated…

Havent really spent much time, just mostly till he had the time to tack it.

View 69BBNova's profile

69BBNova

338 posts in 934 days


#7 posted 01-17-2013 03:56 AM

Little update…

Felt like taking a break from my other unfinished projects to finally do the outriggers…

The actual part is two pieces of birch ply glued together and an extra piece inside to back it up…

I used 3/8×16 x 3 1/2” long carrage bolts, hardned washers, and grade 5 nuts ( because I had them)...

The actual adjuster is a 2 1/2” long 3/8×16 x 2 1/2 grade 8 (again had it) socket head capscrew with a nut jammed on to use a wrench to adjust with. The rubber feet came from the original base and fit tightly to the head of the bolts…

Later on I’ll taper the ends so if for some odd reason I’m that close and trip it will be eaiser to lift my foot over so I wont fall..

Unfortunatly I can never remember the name of the thinges hammered in the wood (but I use them all the time).lol…

I’ll and the dimenstions to the first post when I check them.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase