I bought this Whiteside lock miter bit a couple weeks ago. This is my experience with it so far.
The first thing I did was make a tall fence to go on my Jointech positioner.
Next I made a couple of feather boards. Then I just eye balled the center of the bit to the center of my stock. And at the same time set the fence so the top edge of my stock would not be completely removed. If the fence is set to deep the complete edge will be removed. Resulting in snipe.
Now I took my dial caliper and got the height perfect. This process took three measurements and some math. I was more accurate subtracting the shelf height from the total stock thickness.
The Incra router lift made this adjustment very precise. Each increment on the lift equals about .002 inch. I need to remind myself to raise or lower the bit one half the total amount of error from my measurement.
The final fine tune was to move the fence in or out so the top edge of the bit aligned with the top corner of the stock.
I ran a couple of test pieces. I have better results with less chance of a mess up if the boards are not too short. Longer boards work best.
I hope this write up encourages someone to try the lock miter joint. I find it not too hard to set up and it makes a joint equal to the spline miter with less work.
-- Correlation is not causation but I did loose my Doctor !!!