Okay, so I’ll start this post off by apologizing for not documenting my progress better but I get so wrapped up in working that I forget to stop and take pictures. But I digress. First off, I added a couple dividers in the cabinet made from my trusty CDX stash:
Then on the left side I added some oak rails for drawers:
Here is a shot of lower drawer I built. Nothing fancy, just scrap 3/4 oak ply for the sides-butt joints with glue and brads to hold it together-and 1/4 plywood bottom.
And this is the upper drawer, which I plan to use for bit storage. I still need to come up with a mounting plate for the bits, I’m thinking of just drilling a bunch of 1/4” and 1/2” holes in a scrap piece of lumber but I haven’t gotten there yet. Scrap ply for the bottom, scrap oak ply for the front, and a triangular piece of oak to brace the front.
Here are the drawers installed. They just slide on top of the rails I installed earlier-rude and crude to be sure but it works. The bad part is-like a dunderhead-I forgot to take into account the fact that the drawers will need drawer pulls so I can open them. Duh!
Next I cut in an electrical box so I can plug the router into the cabinet and use an external switch to turn it on. Note to Self: next time cut the opening in the divider BEFORE installing it in the cabinet, it will look much nicer that way.
A close-up of the butcher-job:
Next I get to the part where I actually had to spend some money (not bad eh?). I didn’t photograph the steps, but I made the top out of a 3/4” piece of MDF laminated under a piece of 3/4” melamine. I then wrapped the whole thing with some scrap oak I had laying around. The oak makes it look nice, plus it helps protect the melamine from chipping. It was also good for me to practice my miter joints.
I made a fence out of 1/2” birch ply with the leftover melamine for the face. I modeled it after a fence that was built on woodworkingformeremortals.com (thanks Steve!):
I added some casters to the bottom, screwed the table to the cabinet and drilled a hole in the table-top for my shiny new router. I mounted the fixed base in the table, leaving the plunge base free for hand work. It’s not my ideal situation but, rather, a stop-gap until I can get a proper mounting plate.
You’ll notice in the above picture that I cut some finger-holes to fix my drawer-pull blunder. Here is another shot with the cabinet drawers closed:
That’s where I’m at so far. As of right now, I got about 30 bucks in the whole deal (excluding the router of course). All I have left to get is some t-track for the fence, some dust collection fittings, and an electrical outlet and switch. I’ve used it as it is and I love it. The biggest problem I have is the fact that, with the casters installed, the table sits about 40 1/2” off the floor-a little high for my 5’9” frame-so I may have to take them back off come up with another mobility solution. I’ll do another entry when I have it all together.